Friday, April 25, 2014

After Action Report - After Action Report – Thursday Night Gaming @ Paradise Perks, April 24, 2014



Thursday Night Gaming at Paradise Perks was well attending again this time.  There were over 30 people at the event and six games being played at any one time.

I was not every energetic this time and only played two games.  Both games were games that I had target to play this month.

The first game I played was Alhambra.  In Alhambra players are trying to build the best palace complex by acquiring buildings that enhance increase its value.  The more expensive the building the more versatility it has in the way of being able to build more additions to the complex.


At the beginning of the game the players start with a single fountain tile that all buildings that are build must have a path to or they may not be placed, and 20 – 28 coins to be able to purchase buildings with.  Coins come in denominations of 1 – 9 in one of four different currencies.  There are four different buildings that will be up for sale during each players turn, the currency that is used to purchase the building is dependent on where it is placed in the market. 

The player may perform one of three actions during their turn.  They can purchase a building, take more coins, or take a tile from their reserve / redesign their palace complex.  If they purchase a building for the exact amount during their turn they may take an additional action during their turn.

There are three scoring rounds during the game.  During each scoring round the player with the most of one of the types of building scores they points for that type of building.  In the first scoring round, only the player with the most buildings of a type gets the points.  In the second round the players that have the most and second most score points for the type of building.  In the third round the top three players get points.  In addition each player scores a point per segment for their longest wall.

This was the first time I played Alhambra this month where there were no new players in the game.  I was the first player because I received the lowest amount of cash during the initial deal.  I decided to concentrate my strategy in this game to building walls almost ignoring what color the tiles were.  I figured that since I was at a disadvantage in money it would be easier for me to get tiles if I looked to getting the cheaper ones with more walls on them initially and focus on the more expensive tiles as the game progressed.

I was concerned as to how this was going to work out for me after the first scoring round when I found myself in last place.  However looking at my tile placement I realized that I had a good foundation.  I find when concentrating on a wall strategy you need to build either wide or tall instead of in a block.  This way you are able to keep you options open when trying to get more tiles.  My Alhambra was taking on a nice wide appearance already.

After the second scoring round I had been able to get myself tied in first place because I was able to get full points for three lower value tile sets and the other players were splitting the higher value sets.  Add to that the 13 points I got for my wall, I had a pretty good scoring machine going.  By the time that the final scoring happened I could not be caught and won the game.

The other game I played was Trans Europa.  In Trans Europa, the players are required to connect up five different cities in different regions of Europe.  The players select these cities from a set of cards.  Each player must take one card of each color.  These colors represent each of the five regions on the board.  During the first round of the game the players place their starting post on the board.  The starting post is where the player will start building their track from during the rest of the round.  It may be placed anywhere on the board except where another player has placed their starting post. 

In the following turn, the players start building track from their starting post.  On their turn each player may place up to two pieces of track on the board as long as it connects to their starting post.  If they connect up to another player’s track, they can build off of that player’s track as well as their own.  In this way players can end up helping each other out while trying to achieve their own goals. 

A round ends after the first player reaches connects all five of their cities to their starting post.  All of the other players reduce their scores, which start at 13 points, by the number of spaces they missed hitting their cities by.  Then the game continues to the next round.  The game ends when one of the players loses all 13 of their points.  The winner is the person who has the most points remaining.

This game was a mixed bag for me.  It lasted only three rounds.  In the first round I used my north south placement strategy.  It served me well as I was able to make it so that I only lost one point when other players lost between five and seven points in the round. 

The strategy failed min the second round mostly because three of the five cities I drew were on edged of the board and I could not get to them fast enough.  I took a catastrophic nine loss in that round. 

I knew I was in trouble in the third round.  I changed strategies up base on the placement of the other players’ starting posts towards a more central placement of my starting post.  It did not prevent me from losing a point by then end of the round, but it got me into a three way tie for second place out of five players.

My stats for the event:

Game
No. of Plays
 1st
 2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
 Avg.
Alhambra
1
      1
      -
      -
      -
      -
      -
      -
      -
  1.00
Trans Europa
1
      -
      1
      -
      -
      -
      -


  2.00
Totals
2
      1
      1
      -
      -
      -
      -

      -
  1.50

No comments :

Post a Comment