Sunday, July 27, 2014

After Action Report – Strategic & Adventure Game Association Game Day @ The El Toro Public Library, July 26, 2014



I hosted the Strategic & Adventure Game Association Game Day at the El Toro Public Library on Saturday.  Unlike the game night at Comic Quest the turnout did not seem to be affected by Comic Con.  We had 21 people at the event with five games being played at any one time.

I played three games at the event.  Two of them were from the Empire Builder family.

The first game I played was Iron Dragon.  The setting for Iron Dragon is a fantasy world filled with things like dwarves, elves, and orcs, which is great if you are playing Dungeons & Dragons, but not my preference for a rail game.  As usual I will not review the major differences in this game from the others in the series as I have done so in previous reports.


In the Empire Builder family of games the players own railroad companies that are competing to build rail lines and move freight from one city to another based on a set of demand cards that they have.  Once a demand on a demand card is completed the player discards it and draws a new one from the deck.  Included in the demand card deck are a number of disaster cards which include things like derailments and river floods which impede the player’s progress to victory.  In order to win the game, the player must be the first to have track connecting a number of major cities on the board and have at least $250 million dollars.

I decided to play the game more conservatively than I normally do this time because the last few time I have gotten myself into trouble with my normally aggressive style of play.  I decided to focus on completing two medium payout loads that were in a location that would get me a good set of base track with my first set of cards.  I had the track built and ended up with a level two train and money left over at the end of the initial build which I almost never do.  It seemed that it was going to work out for me.  I was able to start expanding out my track and deliver some decent sized loads. 

However about half way through the game I felt a little stuck.  I had two more major cities to connect to in order to meet victory conditions, but I could not decide which ones to build to.  It took me a couple of had discards to decide but I was able to make the decision and built out to Eaglehawk and to the Underground.  I had deliveries out to the Eaglehawk area and was not able to get the demand cards for load going the other way in my initial draw so I again discarded my hand and drew three cards that would be with great payouts but they all delivered to Eaglehawk.  I noted that if I delivered them I would be able to win the game so I decided to deadhead back east to get the loads and try to deliver them back out in the west.  I hoped that I would have enough time to do it before someone else ended the game.

It was not meant to be. Another player ended the game two turns before I was able to get to the destination.  I ended the game in third place out of four players.

The second game I played was Empire Builder.  Empire Builder is a game of rail building and goods transportation in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.  The players own railroad companies that are competing to build rail lines and move freight from one city to another based on a set of demand cards that they have.  Once a demand on a demand card is completed the player discards it and draws a new one from the deck.  Included in the demand card deck are a number of disaster cards which include things like derailments and river floods which impede the player’s progress to victory.

Two of the cards I started with had loads of Coffee as demands so I decided to start the game completing them.  I had been a long time since I had had requests for Coffee loads at the start of the game that I figured it would be good to try out the strategy.  I was able to build a good set of track up the center of Mexico into the United States with branches into Santa Fe and Kansas City at the start of the game. 

After I completed delivering my coffee loads I extended my track west to Los Angeles and San Francisco to deliver a load of swine and pick up some sugar.  I then built to Atlanta to deliver the sugar and eventually to Chicago and New York to deliver silver.  I was doing well at this point.  I had built to all of the required major cities and had the highest level of train.  I then started to get some mediocre cards and even after tossing them a couple of times they were not improving so I would do a delivery with a set and the toss the cards again. I started to get some better cards but the damages had been done and I ended the game in third place with no chance to get even close to winning.

The final game of the day for me was a not so quick game of Bazaar.  In Bazaar the players are gem traders trying to fulfill gem orders from demand cards in competition with the other players.  They do this by using two trading boards that represent the exchange rates for the market.  For example one red gem can be traded for two blue gems.  The players use the exchange to fulfill the demand cards as efficiently as possible to maximize their points.

This was the most difficult game of Bazaar I have had in as long as I can remember.  The trade options we had favored getting white and blue gems but there was no other way to trade them to get other colors.  The hardest colors to get were red and yellow.  The selection of cards that we were getting to purchase were heavily weighted to needing red and yellow.  Throughout the game my opponent and I were struggling to get the gems we needed to purchase the cards.  We were happy to get one point when we took a card which is unusual.  I also spent more turns rolling the die to get a gem I could use than I would have ever thought necessary in the game.  At the end of the ugly session my opponent edged into victory ahead of me.

My stats for the game:



No comments :

Post a Comment