Sunday, June 29, 2014

After Action Report – Strategic & Adventure Game Association Game Day @ El Toro Public Library, June 28, 2014



I hosted the Strategic and Adventure Game Association Game Day at the El Toro Public Library on Saturday.  With everyone now on summer break and there being less than a week until the 4th of July holiday I was not certain what the attendance would be like.  Usually in the summer months fewer people go to the events.  We did see more people at the event than we had two weeks ago.  There were 18 people at the event and up to five games were being played at any one time.

I played two games at the event.  Both of them were from the Empire Builder family of games.  To review, in the Empire Builder family of games the players own railroad companies that are competing to build rail lines and move freight from one city to another based on a set of demand cards that they have.  Once a demand on a demand card is completed the player discards it and draws a new one from the deck.  Included in the demand card deck are a number of disaster cards which include things like derailments and river floods which impede the player’s progress to victory.  In order to win the game, the player must be the first to have track connecting a number of major cities on the board and have at least $250 million dollars.

The first game I played was Russian Rails.  Russian Rails starts in the Soviet Union era and can extend to after the fall of communism.  The board includes the western half of the Soviet Union extending east to Alma- Ata in what is now Kazakhstan.  The game plays similarly to all of the other games in the Empire Builder family.  The game was the first to add bonus deliver cards in a big way to the game.  It also has a unique hazard card that causes the fall of communism which takes away 20% of all of the player money and adds a toll for people entering Russia from the other countries that used to make up the Soviet Union.


I had a good set of starting card.  I had two deliveries that were in the same area with the loads coming from cities that were next to each other in the Caucuses and the third card was for a load from one of the second city I was delivering to back to one of the cities that I had my initial pick up.  Since I did not need as much track to complete these cards as I would normally need to complete my first three cards, I was able to upgrade my train using my starting money.  The risk I ran using these cards was that there was not much in the way of loads in the central part of Russia and the track I was developing was in this area.  Fortunately for most of the game I was able to get the cards I need to finance the development of my track.  I ended up relying on my central Russian track heavily.  It did not give me enough cash coming in to win the game and I ended up in second place out of four players.

The other game that I played was Iron Dragon.  The setting for Iron Dragon is a fantasy world filled with things like dwarves, elves, and orcs, which is great if you are playing Dungeons & Dragons, but not my preference for a rail game.  As usual I will not review the major differences in this game from the others in the series as I have done so in previous reports.

I really botched up in this game.  I took the risk of starting in Kola and moving through the Underground to central part of the map.  I then proceeded to miscount the starting funds I would need to be able to deliver two loads at the start and get my economic engine going.  I then got hit by a lose one turn and one load card before I could delivery my first load which put me even further behind the curve on generating the cash I needed to expand.  I spent most of the rest of the game wallowing around trying to get the money I needed to build track so I could deliver better loads.  I was finally starting to get going and the game ended with me in a distant fourth place out of four players.

My stats for the event:

No comments :

Post a Comment