Friday, May 17, 2013

After Action Report - Thursday Night Gaming @ Paradise Perks, May 16, 2013



Thursday Night Gaming at Paradise Perks had 20 – 25 people attending the event.  There were up to six tables with games being played at once.

I only managed to play one game that night mostly because it was a long one but partly because I got annoyed with the actions of one of the players.

The game that I played was Yedo.  Yedo is a strategy game that uses auction and worker placement to be able to gain money and power so you can complete missions to be able to get more money and amass prestige (victory) points.

The players take the roles of clan leaders in the city of Edo during the Tokugawa Shogunate and try to gain the most prestige by the end of the game which is 11 turns or less if one of the players completes a specific mission earlier than turn 11.  It is important to continually find ways to complete missions in the game as it is the only way to get enough money to be able to go the things that you need to do to win the game.  If you do not do this, money will be very tight.

The game started alright for me.  I was able to complete three missions in the first four turns, which was able to generate me some cash, but I had to quickly spend it on things that I needed to complete those missions so by the fifth turn I was still broke and had not generated the victory points and I was in last place where I remained through the rest of the game.

From the fifth turn until the last turn I was not able to get the items to complete another mission because I did not have the cash needed to get the items to complete the missions.  I continued to fall behind had no chance of winning and only a slight chance of getting fourth place.  In other word I was not a factor in the game at that point.

Then it happened.  The first place player decided to be a jerk and hit me with an action card that took victory points from me because he had the card and I was the only person he could play it on.  It did not matter to him that it would not affect whether he would win or not he just wanted to play the card on someone before the end of the game.

It is that sort of unsportsmanlike conduct that makes me mad.  As far as I am concerned you do not hit a player in last place with something that will make a game harder for them just because you can.  The only place that you should even think of doing this is if you a playing with a group of good friends in the comfort of your own home.  It is not acceptable at an open gaming event when you are playing with players that you hardly know if at all.  For all you know you could be playing with a player who is at their first event and turn them off of going to another event ever again.

So I managed to come in last in that game and it turned me off of ever playing a game with that player again.  I ended up in such a foul mood that I did not play another game that night an after talking to a couple of people ended my night early.

Here are my results for the event.

Game
No. of Plays
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
 Avg.
Yedo
1
      -
      -
      -
      -
      1


  5.00
Totals
1
      -
      -
      -
      -
      1
      -
      -
  5.00

No comments :

Post a Comment